Home Projects for Empty Nesters
- Category: News & Articles
- Created: Wednesday, 29 November 2017 12:44
As a parent, sending your child off to college can be a bittersweet experience. However, it does not have to be more bitter than sweet. While being an empty nester may seem sad and lonely, try to think about all the time you will have to take on the home projects you’ve always wanted to do. Whether it is a man cave or a home office, you can finally tackle your growing list of DIY projects. Are you in need of some inspiration to get you started? Here is a list of DIY home improvement projects:
- Fix up your garage. Over the years, your garage has served as the one-stop-shop for your family’s sports equipment, toys, winter coats, boots and more. Now that your children have moved out, it is the ideal time to deep clean your garage and sort through everything that has been stacked and stuffed away. Donate the items that you no longer need, such as your son’s hockey equipment or your daughter’s tennis rackets. Then, organize the items you wish to keep. Install shelving so that you can store everything efficiently, rather than cluttering your garage floor. Now, you will actually have enough space to utilize your two-car garage, and your spouse and you can both park your vehicles inside.
- Transform your children’s former bedrooms. If you plan to stay put in your current home, then it is time to turn the extra bedrooms into a space that will be useful for you and your spouse. Consider transforming one of the bedrooms into a guest room, that way your children still have a place to stay when they return home for the holidays or make a surprise visit. For the other bedroom, consider converting it into a home office or a craft studio. Have you always wanted a home gym? Now is the time to take charge of your health and create one! Or, maybe you need a walk-in closet or bigger laundry room. No matter what room you choose to create, have your children come home and sort through their former bedrooms before you get started.
- Tackle that big project you have always wanted to do. Have you wanted to redo your kitchen for years? Or, maybe you have wanted to upgrade your upstairs’ half bath into a master bathroom? Before, you never had time to conquer a project of this size. You had to make lunches, attend sports games and run the family. Now that the children have left for school, you have the time and extra funds to finally get that kitchen or bathroom you have always dreamed of. Plus, there is no better surprise for your kids to come home to!
At Fischer Lumber, we think you should make the most of your empty nest and enjoy this new stage in your life. We want to help with all of our lumber and tools to get your project done. Stop by our showroom today!